Greek folk dance and folk culture
SUMMER WORKSHOPS 2023
Over 30 hours of Greek folk dance and culture!
For the 33rd year, the national Dora Stratou Dance Theater, the living museum of Greek dance, offers workshops in Greek folk dance and folk culture, in English.
Dates: Monday through Friday, 24 to 28 July 2023, at 17:00 to 21:00 Possibility to organize classes on other dates upon demand.
– Introduction to Greek folk dance on Monday at 11:00-14:00 (3 hours), in the Theatre offices in Plaka, near Syntagma Square, 8 Scholiou Street (a 5-storey building off 122 Adrianou Street).
– Dance classes, 4 hours every day. Dances selected from all Greek regions, executed in their true style, according to field research carried out by the Theatre’s ethnographers. Preference to dances included in the Theatre program that week, so students can see them performed on stage. Workshop venue: Dora Stratou Theatre, on the pine-tree covered Philopappou Hill, opposite the Acropolis, within walking distance from Plaka, the picturesque old town of Athens. Classes daily in the Theatre’s rehearsal hall 17:00 to 21:00 (20 hours)
– Class on headdresses (2 hours)
– History of Greek dance, lecture by the President Dr Alkis Raftis (2 hours)
– Visit to the Theatre’s wardrobe of 2,000 authentic village-made costumes, complete with folk jewelry and accessories (2 hours)
– Attendance of Dance Theatre performances (2 hours)
– Visits to folk art museums, located in Plaka, near our office building (4 hours)
Instructors: Selected from among the Theatre’s senior dancers (each having over 200 performances’ experience)
Fee: 165 euros (140 for CID members)
Folk dance teachers, enthusiasts, dancers and researchers have an opportunity to experience the daily life of a folk dance theatre unique in the world, and to benefit from the wealth of its resources. These workshops are official, not to be confused with classes to tourists on a commercial basis.
Every day of the year individual classes after appointment.
The Theatre is a non-profit organization subsidized by the Ministry of Culture and the National Tourist Organization. It celebrates its 70 years in 2023.
Greek dance classes every day throughout the year. Lectures, workshops, research programs. Copies of folk costumes made to order. Library, collections and archives. Numerous publications: books, albums, postcards, CDs, DVDs, T-shirts, posters etc. Close cooperation with the International Dance Council CID at UNESCO, www.cid-world.org
Recommended additional activities:
– Visit folk art museums.
– Visit craftsmen and shops of folk handicraft
– Attend folklore events taking place that week (festivals, celebrations etc.).
– Researchers can consult the Theatre’s library.
– A folder with information material is offered. Prior reading of Greek folklore literature and listening to good Greek folk musicwww.Raftis.org
– Spend your free time on the beach, shopping, visiting Athens etc. Our instructors and staff are happy to provide useful information.
– Accommodation and restaurant: At participant’s choice. We can advise on good restaurants in Plaka.For more information on the Theatre’s activities: www.grdance.org